Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jomon ware


Yard has been busy lately. Two switchers.

It was good firing. Got good reduction all around the kiln. I am really getting close to firing the kiln properly in this studio. About the time.

Here is a new platter out of the kiln. This design is influenced by Japanese Jomon pottery, 10,000 years old. I had privilege to see and touch the real one at the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery of the Smithsonian museum several years ago. My friend arranged to visit the storage area of the museum. We are allowed to pick one piece per person to the table from the storage case. I picked the Jomon piece without hesitation. I still remember the feeling when I touched the pottery. It was amazing; electric went through my body... If I can dig out the picture, I will later. The University Museum, The University of Tokyo has the great web site, Digital museum, featuring the Jomon ware found in Aomori prefecture.

Yes, we had 5 inch of snow after the firing, and are expecting the major snowstorm.


No comments: