Saturday, February 19, 2011

Quick Thaw

Last two days, temperature went to up above 50F, and most snow are melted. Small creeks run like wild river.

P1070484

Sun felt very nice.  Trimming today. Why trim?  I like to trim most of my pots.  It reduces lots of weight from the ware by trimming away excess of the clay. A foot give a balanced shape to the entire form, from ground up. It needs to be right width (or shape and size) to the opening of the pottery to look nice.  If you are handling the hot food or drink, the foot give a bit of cushion from the heat.

P1070485P1070487

Well, I made the replacement for the teapot 3.   I enlarge the handle so the lid is easier to remove.  This lid has better fit.

[caption id="attachment_1406" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Teapot 3 replaced"]Teapot 3 replaced[/caption]

2 comments:

littlewrenpottery said...

I always turn my pots, it just really helps to keep them looking smart. I've never been very keen on flat bottom bowls for eating out of, they're just not finished off properly!

Your teapot is looking lovely, heres to spring coming soon!

Hodaka said...

Yes! Spring is almost here. Sun is getting strong, and I am very sleepy this week at the studio. Not productive week.
I do not know what to do with these teapots once fired. It is good exercise to think about the shape and function.