Friday, January 23, 2009

Syracuse



We had a spring-like weather today. I visited Clayscapes Pottery and Eureka Crafts in Syracuse.
It is a little over one hour drive from Rochester.

I highly recommend Clayscapes Potterty if you are in need of pottery supply. Owner, Don is knowledgeable and goes miles to accommodate your needs. They set aside the batch of clay (2-3000lb) for a month so I can test the clay from the same batch. I had burnt by the bad batch of clay so many time in the past. The clay manufacturer strongly recommends to test the clay before using it, but it is very difficult to do so. In the past, 40 boxes of clay were delivered to home. It usually takes two -three weeks to know the firing result of the clay, and meanwhile I got to use this new clay since I do not have enough space to keep more than 40 boxes of clay. If you have the bad clay, imagine how much of work to lose. Clay problems included bloating, pieces of glass, cracking, mixed with different type of clay....
I needed some bag of glaze materials today. I had very good time with Tim See, who teaches and has studio there. He showed me his latest pieces for the Smithsonian Craft Show in April. Oh, these were amazing !!

The Eureka Crafts carries my pottery for over 15 years. They are one of the first galleries who carried my pottery, and gave me the wonderful advice and encouragement for the started-out potter and now. If you walk into the store, you are greeted with great collection potteries and other crafts. The Eureka Craft and the Everson Museum of Art are the must-visit place for the great crafts.

No comments: