Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Casserole dish

Do you remember that we had snow 10 days ago?   Today we hit 80F° and we were under the tornado watch. I do not think we actually see the tornado here in upstate New York.  It is very rare.  But everyday this week so far has been very windy.

Leaves starts open up, and  flowering trees start blooming.  This is one of the pretty month in Rochester, NY, especially after a long winter.

P1070636P1070637P1070638

After a week off from the throwing, my fingers feel a lot better.  I am back on the wheel today.  I do not have any discomfort so far.  This is very good sign.  I threw 8 casserole dishes.  I was not familiar with the casserole dishes when I first moved to US.  I do not think there is no casserole dish in Japan. Similar one would be the direct frame dish called donabe.  But the casserole dish is not the direct frame dish.  I use for reheating rice, steaming the vegetable, and  gratin type dish.  I admit I really not sure how people actually use the casserole dish for.  What do you use ?

Casseroles, hodaka potterycasserole hodaka pottery

5 comments:

littlewrenpottery said...

I've tried to make casserole dishes myself but I always find something goes wrong with them or they aren't big enough. Casserole dishes are used to cook stews which are usually vegetables and meat they cook together in the pot for several hours on a low temperature. You can also use them to make curries with.

Hodaka said...

Put together everything and throw into the oven before going to the studio. I will try to cook a stew sometime.

Windy said...

When I hear the word "casserole dish" I think of a relatively short-sided, wide-bottomed dish made from stoneware, ceramic (maybe?), or pyrex glass. We use it to bake things like casserole, lasagna, and gratin in a standard oven. If you look up "casserole" in google's image search, it should give you some idea of what I mean.

It looks like the casserole dishes you've made are quite a bit taller, so perhaps they are meant for something like stew. You might even ba able to make a small pot roast (yum!) in it.

Windy said...

Ahh, I just looked up "casserole dish" in Wikipedia to double-check, and it seems it can refer to a couple of different dishes depending on the type of English. I could be wrong, but your "casserole dish" might be my "dutch oven" (or something similar)? Those are definitely used for stews.

Either way, the one in the picture is quite pretty. :-)

Hodaka said...

Thank you, Wendy. I picked up the casserole dish from people making the similar deep dishes around here 20 years ago. Some customer ordered the shallow dish with cover or lasagna dish that is shallow square dish in the past. My casserole may be a soup tureen rather than a casserole. I just looked up the pot roast, which I was referring to the beef stew in this blog. English is so difficult :)